Lewes blown away

Posted: February 22nd 2017

Wanderers continued their impressive away form with a robust win in difficult conditions at a blustery Dripping Pan.


Wanderers lined up without the in-form Matt Briggs and Tom Summerfield, who were both nursing minor injuries. Gareth Chendlik started his first league game for some time, and Sam Beard was promoted to the starting line-up in what was otherwise an unchanged team from the one that beat Chatham convincingly last Saturday.


Kicking against the wind in the first half Wanderers were impressive, managing to find a way to establish their passing game despite the conditions. With the Wanderers back three also resolute, the midfield duo of Jake Beecroft and Anthony Oakes were finding quantum’s of space to distribute to the ever dangerous James McShane, whose link-up play with Chendlik and Tolfrey posed an obvious early threat.


The opening goal came from a Sam Beard free kick and was headed home by Captain Chris Boulter. Wanderers would probably feel disappointed to not go into the break more than one goal to the good, with Tolfrey and Chendlik getting into great positions on more than one occasion with only their final pass and finishing letting them down. All in all the first half was a fairly one sided affair.


HT 0-1


In the second half the hosts started stronger, and were clearly determined to reduce the deficit. They duly obliged in the 53rd minute when a mix up from a long throw was finished well by James Hammond.


Following the equaliser The Rooks had their best spell of the game, and Slav Huk was on hand to produce an excellent double save in the only real opportunity their possession produced. However, as the home team surged forward they were always going to be vulnerable to Wanderers speedy counter attacking play, and after a small spell of better possession James McShane steered home from close range.


The obligatory final 10 minute onslaught came from the home side, as Manager Marc White made defensive minded substitutions in order to sit deep and defend to secure another 3 points, and make it 6 points from 6 against their Sussex coast rivals.


FT 1-2


Manager Marc White said: “I thought we kept them in the game having only scored one goal in the first half for all of our possession. That said, full marks to Darren and his management team at Lewes for inspiring a much more resolute performance from their team in the second half, they gave us a real game. The conditions were a real leveller, and credit to both teams for producing an entertaining game. From our perspective we’ve still got work to do, but the squad are committed to ensuring that we continue to retain our good form”.


Wanderers are next in league action this Saturday when Ramsgate visit Westhumble in the Ryman Division One South (3pm kick-off).


Wanderers: Slavomir Huk, Rob Sheridan, Chris Boulter, Dean Hamlin, Ben Dyett, Anthony Oakes, Jake Beecroft, Sam Beard (Dean Gunner 68’), Gareth Chendlik (Giuseppe Sole 73’), Tom Tolfrey (Jerome Beckles 81’), James McShane


Subs: Giuseppe Sole, Dean Gunner, Jerome Beckles, Dan Mahoney, Alex Wells


Dorking Wanderers goal-scorers: Chris Boulter (18’), James McShane (76’)



Pictured: Captain Chris Boulter, who opened the scoring in Dorking Wanderers 2-1 win at Lewes on Wednesday night.


Interested IN playing, supporting, sponsoring, or something else, then please  get in touch

Sponsored by

Dorking’s Premier Printer | 01306 888858 | www.barkersprint.com