Dorking Wanderers 2-3 Carshalton Athletic

Posted: 16th March 2019

By Luke Hammond

Dorking remain 13 points clear at the top of the Bostik Premier Division and on course for an automatic promotion, despite seeing their 11 match winning streak ended by a determined Carshalton Athletic.


The in-form team of the chasing pack, Carshalton started brightest and, in the 10th minute a swinging corner was attacked by Kalvin Morath-Gibbs and cleared instinctively off the line by the boot of Jason Prior.


In the strong wind, Wanderers struggled to move the ball with pace but their early frustration was relieved in the 14th minute when Matt Briggs was played through with a perfectly weighted ball. The winger lifted his head up to find an unmarked Luke Moore, who stroked the ball home for a 1-0 lead.


The momentum continued with Dorking as Niall McManus pounced on a poor touch in the Carshalton midfield and ran through one-on-one with the Robins keeper Patrick Ohman. But the 50-yard sprint left McManus flagging and his tame shot proved a comfortable save.


The game burst into life when Dorking’s Luke Moore nudged Carshalton’s Daniel Pappoe in the back and tried to regain the ball back quickly for a throw in, sparking a keenly contested end to the first half, but no further goals.


Carshalton were once again quickest out of the blocks after the break, particularly left-back Paris Hamilton-Downs whose first cross led to a spectacular diving save from Dorking keeper Slavomir Huk. The following attack released Hamilton-Downs again and, this time, he found Bobby Price in the middle to head home a 50th minute equaliser.


A series of Dorking set pieces caused problems for Carshalton’s deep lying defence and a driven low shot from James McShane was spilled by Ohman and rolled inches from the line. But it was Carshalton who took the lead, only seven minutes after equalising, in a clever one-touch move finished by striker Tommy Bradford.


Dorking faced  an uphill task against a forceful wind to save an unbeaten run stretch back to Christmas, and the game was put out of reach with little more than ten minutes to play.


Huk had already kept Wanderers in the game with some crucial saves, but his defence was undone again when Harry Ottaway put Bradford through to finish past the outspread Dorking keeper and double the visitors’ lead.


Substitute Elliott Buchanan unleashed a thunderbolt which rocketed past Ohman in the 86th minute to give Dorking hope of a comeback, but despite applying late pressure it was too little, too late for Wanderers as the Robins held out for the win.


Dorking will look to bounce back next weekend with a visit to Corinthian-Casuals, followed by an away trip to Brightlingsea, before returning home to Meadowbank to host Worthing on Saturday 6th April.


Dorking Wanderers FC:  Huk, Ray, Philpot (Beard 65), El-Abd, Taylor, Moore, McManus (Buchanan 66), Briggs, Prior, Richards (Hall 80), McShane

Unused subs – Sheridan, Sole


Interested IN playing, supporting, sponsoring, or something else, then please  get in touch

Dorking’s Premier Printer | 01306 888858 |