Tooting & Mitcham Utd v DWFC

Sat 3 Mar - 3pm K/O


Harrow Borough 3 Dorking Wanderers 4

Posted: 20th November 2017



As Wanderers paid their first ever visit to Harrow Borough, it was a dark and very wet afternoon. This made for a very slippery pitch and at times difficult playing conditions. Luke Moore had to pull out in the morning with a virus, which forced Marc White into a reshuffle. New Dad Lewis Taylor returned to the team making it a strong line up. Isaac Philpott also started at the back, with Robb Sheridan and Dean Hamlin injured. Young Teddy Ralph (who is a product of the Academy) also took his place on the bench, after his successful debut against Godalming.


Tom Tolfrey had an early one on one chance, which was well saved by home keeper Minter, and Sole’s follow up was cleared for a corner. Dorking looked strong and it was Tolfrey who opened the scoring after 17 minutes, tapping in after a goalmouth scramble. He then turned provider three minutes later, crossing for Lewis Taylor to head home for the second. A third Dorking goal followed only 3 minutes later, following a typical Matt Briggs run and shot which was initially saved, however he followed up to finish confidently at the second attempt.


The home fans were understandably not happy as it looked like their team were collapsing. Things took a turn, however, with a debateable free kick being awarded out near the corner flag, and with a little deflection Borough pulled one back. Then a corner resulted in a second Harrow goal that headed in by Bryan and it was game on at half time.


Dan Pearse replaced Giuseppe Sole and the Harrow heads were up as they sought to continue their recovery after the interval. A great solo run by Cumberbatch made it three apiece, and it became a very open game with both sides looking for the win. Putnam had replaced Beard, and Chendlik came on for Tolfrey as the minutes ticked away. A late corner for Wanderers worked by McShane and Briggs created an opening for McShane whose shot was parried and Captain Chris Boulter was on hand to get the all important winner with eight minutes remaining. A late free kick for Borough saw their whole team in our penalty area, but the Wanderers defence held firm and brought the three points back down the A40.

Assistant Manager Dean Milton said afterwards, “ We are delighted to get our first away win under our belt, and it was great to see such powerful play going forward. We were superb in the first half hour, but obviously disappointed to let a three goal lead slip. Getting the win was all important, and having scored twelve goals in our last three games we approach away games at Shoreham and Havant and Waterlooville with a strong squad and improving form.”


Dorking Wanderers: Pelling, Philpott, Boulter, Ray, Beckles, Taylor, Beard (Putnam), Briggs, Sole (Pearse), Tolfrey (Chendlik), McShane

Subs not used – Ralph, Dyett


Man of the Match – Lewis Taylor


Interested IN playing, supporting, sponsoring, or something else, then please  get in touch

Dorking’s Premier Printer | 01306 888858 |