Tooting & Mitcham Utd v DWFC

Sat 3 Mar - 3pm K/O


Dorking Wanderers 4 Leiston 1

Posted: 13th November 2017

Wanderers faced Suffolk based Leiston for the third time this season, and after narrowly losing both of the league games there was a determination to avenge those losses and reach the furthest stage in the FA Trophy in the club’s history.

The day started with Lewis Taylor dropping out due to the birth of his first child, so a slightly changed line up was forced on Manager Marc White. Robb Sheridan and Tom Summerfield were both unavailable through injury and Gareth Chendlik was also not quite ready for action.


With the previous encounter being remembered more for the horrendous facial injury to David Ray rather than any football, Wanderers set about their task with some determined, attacking play. An early free kick was placed just over the bar from Giuseppe Sole, and a shot from Matt Briggs drew a good save from Leiston keeper Garnham. A shot from Tom Tolfrey was parried for a corner as Wanderers made the early running, and with 16 minutes on the clock Tolfrey headed Wanderers in front, latching on to a corner.


Yet another facial injury saw Dean Hamlin being taken off to hospital for stitches with Isaac Philpott taking his place.


Leiston had some shots, but these were mainly off target, although Josh Pelling saved well following a sloppy defensive pass giving the visitors a chance. It remained 1-0 at half time.


Only three minutes into the second half and James McShane put Dorking 2-0 ahead with a determined run and shot that was deflected past the helpless Garnham.


This was a good spell for Wanderers with Briggs making several penentrating runs. He was fouled several times and Leiston were starting to get yellow cards for their tackles. Sole was again close with a free kick, and a blistering shot from Briggs went fractionally wide.


Another Dorking corner resulted in the ball being picked up outside the box by Luke Moore, who found David Ray in acres of space to his who calmly chipped the keeper with a superb effort to make it 3-0 in the 72nd minute.


Against the run of play Leiston pulled one back with ten minutes left when Finch slotted home. There was no chance of a late comeback however as Briggs made one of his trademark runs and his shot was saved by Garnham, and Sole was there to head in the loose ball and put the tie to bed.


Overall this was a much better performance all round from Dorking Wanderers, who now look to a Surrey Senior Cup Tie against Godalming on Tuesday, and a trip to Harrow Borough in the Bostik Premier next Saturday. Furthermore, they are in the draw for the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy for the first time in the clubs history.


Manager Marc White said after the game, “We are obviously delighted to get through to the next round of the Trophy, and it is satisfying to beat teams above you in the league. Although we remain cautious, we are now seeing some consistency and with the majority of players fit again we will be looking to continue this form in our league games”.



Pelling, Hamlin (Philpott 24 ), Boulter, Ray, Beckles, Moore, Beard (Putnam 59), Briggs, Sole, Tolfrey (Pinnock 74), McShane

Subs not used – Huk, Pearse

(Pics courtesy of Steve O’Sullivan)


Interested IN playing, supporting, sponsoring, or something else, then please  get in touch

Dorking’s Premier Printer | 01306 888858 |