Tooting & Mitcham Utd v DWFC

Sat 3 Mar - 3pm K/O


Dorking Wanderers 0 Leiston 2

Posted: 16th October 2017

Please see match report below following Saturday’s defeat, and an image attached of David Ray vs Leiston before he had to go to hospital for surgery following a very high tackle (pic courtesy of Steve O’Sullivan).



Since Dorking Wanderers entertained their first ever opponents in the Bostik Premier League, when their trip to Suffolk ended in a 1-0 defeat on the opening day, Leiston have remained unbeaten. They are without doubt a force to be reckoned with and Dorking had to face them with a host of injuries and of course the ill timed suspensions to Matt Briggs and Jerome Beckles. On a positive note they were able to welcome back Josh Pelling in goal and the team lined up with Robb Sheridan put into an unfamiliar role in central midfield, however a further blow followed during the warm up which saw Tom Tolfrey have to be replaced by Sol Pinnock after tweaking a hamstring.


Leiston opened brightly as expected with a few early half chances but the depleated Wanderers team fought valiantly, and Josh Pelling pulled off a fabulous save early on. As the first half progressed, Dorking Wanderers held their own and both Giuseppe Sole and James McShane came close. Just before the break, Mc Shane was the victim of a very hefty tackle and had to be replaced at half time.


Having held Leiston level, yet another blow came Wanderers way in the second half when David Ray was caught in the face by a high boot. Ray was subsequently taken to hospital where he had surgery and 20 stitches. Isaac Philpott was brought on, but the spine of the team had been ripped out and inevitably Leiston took advantage of the situation and took the lead from a corner, finished off by Patrick Brothers.


After going a goal behind the Wanderers players gave their all, but the relentless pressure saw Leiston get a goal second ten minutes from time, with a strike from Joe Marsden.


Following the victory Leiston moved top of the table, but for Wanderers the game had a heavier price than just losing three points.


After the match Manager Marc White praised the effort from his depleted squad. He said, “I felt we more than matched Leiston in the first half, but with these further injuries we were always going to be struggling as the game went on. I feel very let down by the match officials today, particularly with the yellow card for the high boot in David Ray’s face. The ref was far too lenient and we are paying a heavy price for that”


White added, “I have never known a crisis like this in all my years managing Wanderers. In addition to the suspensions to Briggs and Beckles, we now have Huk, Dyett, Oaks, Moore, Chendlik, Tolfrey, McShane and Ray injured. With Needham Market due at Westhumble next Saturday, we have to hope we can get some of  the boys fit enough to play”


Interested IN playing, supporting, sponsoring, or something else, then please  get in touch

Dorking’s Premier Printer | 01306 888858 |